The course is designed for practitioners involved in international trust administration and management to develop your understanding of a trustee’s duties when investing and managing the trust fund. It covers in depth insight into the capital markets, money markets, sophisticated investment funds, private equity, structured products and derivatives to enable you to implement investment advice, analyse and monitor trust investments, and report to the beneficiaries.
This course can be taken as a standalone qualification or as part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management.
The course is designed for all professionals moving into or working in financial services (specifically trusts and corporate services), who wish to develop their understanding and knowledge of this area.
Students of this course typically include:
- Trust Assistants/Officers/Administrators
- Trust Managers (Senior)
- Corporate Administrators
- Wealth Managers
- Tax Advisors
- Compliance Officers/Managers
- Private Bankers
- Client Relations/Marketing/Sales
- Financial/Estate Planners
Following this course you will be able to:
- Understand the standard of care expected of a trustee when investing and managing the trust fund and be able to comply with it
- Appreciate why it is necessary and how to monitor investment performance
- Identify sources of investment risk and be able to measure and balance risk with anticipated return
- Understand the components of and be able to measure and balance risk with anticipated return
- Understand the components of and be able to establish a suitable and appropriate asset allocation for a trustee
- Comply with a trustee’s need for adequate liquidity by investing in cash and on the money markets
- Appreciate the broad investment characteristics of different types of bonds, factors affecting price movements, calculate bond yields and evaluate credit ratings
- Identify the broad investment characteristics of different types of stocks, factors affecting stock prices and how to invest for the maximum return with minimum risk by implementing MPT and CAPM
- Appreciate the broad investment characteristics of collective investment funds, including sophisticated-investor hedge funds and private equity funds
- Identify the broad investment characteristics of structured products and understand how they can be used by a trustee in substitution for a tailor-made portfolio of securities
- Use hedging techniques to reduce risk by acquiring options and derivatives
- Manage real estate and high-value moveable chattels held in trust
The STEP Advanced Certificate in Trustees' Duties: Investment and Management of the Trust Fund forms part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management combined with three additional STEP Advanced Certificates.
This course is available for study all year round, with intakes at different points throughout the year (depending on your location). The core programme is delivered through a blend of distance-learning and four virtual workshops as part of a revision-week series delivered online by experts in the field who possess vast amounts of professional experience and practical knowledge. Thanks to the online delivery, you can take this course from anywhere.
It is recommended that you spend four to six hours per week on private study for the duration of this course.
Course enrolment closing date: 05 May 2023
Tuition: 04-07 September 2023
Exam date: 08 September 2023
Enrolment onto this course will provide access to an online learning platform that contains:
- Bespoke soft copy course manual
- Supplementary resource material
- Self-assessment material
- Distance learning support
- Four days of online tuition
- Examination fees
The STEP Advanced Certificate in Trustees’ Duties: Investment Management of the Trust Fund, forms part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management which is recognised worldwide as the benchmark qualification for those working in the international trusts industry.
- Ideal for practitioners looking for professional accreditation.
- A recognised “gold-standard” professional qualification for those working in the industry, globally recognised by employers, regulators, clients and professionals.
- This course is subject to the rigorous quality assurance procedures of Manchester Business School, a Faculty of the University of Manchester.
- Can be taken as a standalone qualification or as part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management.
- Blended delivery, written and taught by practitioners focusing on everyday matters encountered when investing and managing a variety of asset classes
- Provides students with the ability to grow their own professional network, interact with students online from a range of professions, build relationships and share study tips/support as a cohort.
Successful completion of the course will award you with 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership.
The course is assessed by way of a five-hour open-book written examination which comprises 25 compulsory multiple-choice questions (each worth 1 mark) followed by three 25-mark essay/problem style questions chosen from a selection of five questions.The questions will be drawn from across the syllabus and candidates must achieve 50% in order to pass the Advanced Certificate.
Once you have successfully completed the course and exam, you will gain 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership and be awarded the STEP Advanced Certificate in Trustees’ Duties: Investment and Management of the Trust Fund.
Additional charges will apply for re-sit attempts and deferrals.
Applicants must have obtained 60 STEP Entry-Level credits to enrol onto this course or be a member of STEP. Visit STEP’s Qualification and Membership Framework to understand how to apply.
Whilst we at the GTA promote and facilitate the STEP programmes, bookings are made directly with CLT International, STEP’s exclusive training provider. To enrol please book online.