The course is designed to develop and enhance your understanding of how companies are used as offshore asset-holding vehicles.It ensures that practitioners understand how to incorporate and manage a private, asset-holding company, including the practices and procedures involved, and are familiar with relevant company law rules that regulate a company and its affairs.
This course can be taken as a standalone qualification or as part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management.
This course is designed for all professionals moving into or working in financial services (specifically trusts and corporate services), who wish to develop their understanding and knowledge of this area.
Students of this course typically include:
- Trust Assistants/Officers/Administrators
- Trust Managers (Senior)
- Corporate Administrators
- Wealth Managers
- Tax Advisors
- Compliance Officers/Managers
- Private Bankers
- Client Relations/Marketing/Sales
- Financial/Estate Planners
Following this course you will be able to:
- Appreciate and describe the features, characteristics and uses of private asset-holding companies incorporated offshore.
- Know how to incorporate a private company and draft required documentation.
- Comply with the procedural requirements to migrate a company by continuation.
- Construe the constitutive documents of a typical company, namely its memorandum and articles of association, and be able to amend their provisions.
- Understand funding and capital structure of a company and how capital is allocated to comply with capital maintenance provisions.
- Appreciate the limitations upon what is available to justify a dividend and that the same restrictions to not apply to repayment of debt.
- Comply with the duties of a director of a managed company and reduce risk for the firm providing directorships, company secretary and/or registered agent.
- Convene, hold and conduct (and waive) meetings of the board and general meetings of shareholders, conduct a variety of common corporate actions and draft accompanying resolutions.
- Balance beneficial owner control with the risks involved
- Understand the role of receiver, liquidator.
- Conduct a members’ voluntary winding-up or voluntary striking-off (and reinstatement).
The STEP Advanced Certificate in Company Law and Practice forms part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management combined with three additional STEP Advanced Certificates.
This course is available for study all year round, with intakes at different points throughout the year (depending on your location).The core programme is delivered through a blend of distance-learning and four virtual workshops as part of a revision-week series delivered online by experts in the field who possess vast amounts of professional experience and practical knowledge. Thanks to the online delivery, you can take this course from anywhere.
It is recommended that you spend four to six hours per week on private study for the duration of this course.
Course enrolment closing date: 9 June 2023
Tuition: (four days) 9-12 October 2023
Exam date: 13 October 2023
Enrolment onto this course will provide access to an online learning platform that contains:
- Bespoke soft copy course manual
- Supplementary resource material, including over 50 company-related documents
- Self-assessment material
- Distance learning support
- Four days of online tuition
- Examination fees
The STEP Advanced Certificate in Company Law and Practice forms part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management which is recognised worldwide as the benchmark qualification for those working in the international trusts industry.
- Ideal for practitioners looking for professional accreditation.
- A recognised “gold-standard” professional qualification for those working in the industry, globally recognised by employers, regulators, clients and professionals.
- This course is subject to the rigorous quality assurance procedures of Manchester Business School, a Faculty of the University of Manchester.
- Can be taken as a standalone qualification or as part of the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management.
- Blended delivery, written and taught by practitioners focusing on everyday matters encountered in private company management from incorporation, modern usage and administration of companies and the provision of corporate services.
- Access to specimen examination papers and solutions to support you in your assessment preparation.
- Ability to grow your own professional network, meeting students from a range of professions providing an opportunity for networking, building relationships and sharing study tips/support as a cohort.
- You have the opportunity to submit academic queries to a dedicated programme content team.
Successful completion of the course will award you with 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership.
The course is assessed by way of a five-hour closed-book written examination which comprises 25 compulsory multiple-choice questions (each worth 1 mark) followed by three 25-mark essay/problem style questions chosen from a selection of five questions. The questions will be drawn from across the syllabus and candidates must achieve 50% in order to pass the Advanced Certificate.
Once you have successfully completed the course and exam, you will gain 30 Diploma-Level credits towards STEP membership and be awarded the STEP Advanced Certificate in Company Law and Practice.
Additional charges will apply for re-sit attempts and deferrals.
Applicants must have obtained 60 STEP Entry-Level credits to enrol onto this course or be a member of STEP. Visit STEP’s Qualification and Membership Framework to understand how to apply.
Whilst we at the GTA promote and facilitate the STEP programmes, bookings are made directly with CLT International, STEP’s exclusive training provider. To enrol please book online.