This course will look at the good practice in reading, understanding and retaining important information drawn from various sources of documentation and data (e.g. business plans, reports, forms).
On this course we will consider a three-pronged approach to managing information which includes an understanding of learning/processing styles; how certain time management strategies will help and which accelerated learning techniques will help to assimilate and clarify what are the key points in making sense of complex information.
We will look at good practice in reading for meaning as well as an introduction to speed reading, its benefits and limitations.
Audit of current practice and strategies for reading for information
- What are the challenges and what is working for you?
Understanding your learning style
- Advantages and disadvantages of each learning style
Reading for Information and Meaning: Preparations
- Range of documentation required
- Prioritisation Strategy (using Pareto principle)
- ‘Chunking’ information
- Identifying the Questions that need answers from the documentation
- Efficient reading and concentration; managing distractions
- Energy levels
Speed Reading Techniques
- An introduction to the basic skills
- Identify your current reading speed
- When to use it/when it has limitations
Efficient and Effective Close Reading techniques
- Strategies for close ‘slow’ reading, when required
- Good practice in reading digital information
- Retaining important information, mind-mapping and effective note taking
Action Plan for Success
- Plenary session to identify individual Action Points
This course will help you to manage paperwork and complex documentation in an effective and efficient manner. For staff who are required to read through, digest and analyse significant amounts of documents and data, an ability to read for meaning and to have a reading and prioritisation strategy that best fits with everyone is an essential skill.
- Consider what is working well and not so well in your current reading practices
- Have an increased understanding of your own reading/ ‘processing’ styles
- Have a wider range of strategies to deal with substantial amounts of information in a time efficient manner
- Learn the key principles of speed reading and understand the importance of practice in developing this skill
- Learn additional strategies for close ‘slow’ reading, when required
- Learn what is an effective way to clarify and recall information
- Be more confident in managing your workload
If you would like to book a place on this course please click on the ‘Book Course’ button to the right of this page and login or register for a user account to complete your booking(s). Any queries please do not hesitate to contact us via [email protected] or call us on 01481 721555.
If no date is scheduled for this course at the present time please click on the ‘Register Interest’ button and login or register for a user account so that we can add you to our course interest register. This register allows us to contact our tutors and finalise dates for a course as soon as we have a few people who have expressed their interest, so the more delegates who register their interest, the sooner we can schedule a particular course.