The GTA University Centre is delighted to offer this 18 month, fast track programme, providing dual qualifications – MSc Corporate Governance and Grad CG. This popular programme will provide you with a highly specialised set of skills and develop your ability to appreciate and influence the factors governing corporate affairs. In this context, ‘corporate’ is used in its wider sense and therefore includes private, public and not-for-profit organisations.
If you already hold full The Chartered Governance Institute CSQS, CCAB, ACA, ACCA or CIMA or equivalent, you would be eligible for entry to the MSc Corporate Governance/Grad CG Fast Track.
This is a part-time programme which will be delivered entirely online and, under current regulations, is only available to residents of the Channel Islands.
Each module of the programme involves the opportunity to deal with real data derived from recent research and professional practice. You will have access to extensive online study materials via the university's virtual learning environment.
- Corporate Governance & Ethics: Critically understand the objectives, principles and methods of Corporate Governance practice within different economic environments, explore a range of frameworks to analyse complex ethical problems, and appreciate how corporate governance and ethics can aid managerial decision making.
- Enterprise Risk Management: Understand the different theoretical and practical aspects of identifying and managing risks, including how risk management links to compliance management and complements effective corporate governance in organisations, dependencies and complexities of several types of risks, and the need to establish a single framework, i.e., an enterprise risk management system within the organisation.
- Boardroom Dynamics: Understand the importance of boardroom dynamic on the organisation and decision-making process as well as on culture & diversity, and how the company secretary can influence that process.
- Research Project: This unit will provide you with an opportunity to undertake a significant piece of self-managed research in an area of particular interest, relevant to the course. Guidance will be provided with a research methods workshop and you will be supported by an academic supervisor who will be there to provide guidance and feedback/feedforward.
Bournemouth University developed the MSc Corporate Governance programme in close collaboration with The Chartered Governance Institute. One of the attractions of this programme is that it enables you to develop competence in all areas of business. Overall the course offers:
- An academically rigorous and highly practical qualification (MSc)
- Development of professional and managerial abilities
- Qualification with graduate status of The Chartered Governance Institute (Grad CG).
In pursuing this programme you will have the opportunity to:
- Undertake an academically rigorous study, at an advanced level, of corporate governance including major aspects of current thinking and developments
- Enhance your ability to effectively administer corporate affairs within an organisation, and contribute to corporate performance appropriate to employment at a senior level
- Examine the interrelationships between the major contributing disciplines and functional specialisms, and the manner in which they interrelate in corporate governance
- Build outwards from your individual field to foster self-development, developing your capability for effective teamwork, objective analysis and communication
- Foster an understanding and appreciation of ethics and values relating to the business community and the relationship to corporate governance
- Enhance your career potential
Duration and mode: The course is taught in Guernsey, part-time over one academic year. All units on this course will be delivered through a combination of asynchronous activities that you can study at any time (such as pre-recorded lectures, case studies, and other-directed online activities), supported by regular synchronous tutorials and discussions to be held at the GTA to allow you to work through issues in real-time with your tutors.
Dates for these discussion sessions (from 22 September 2023 for the fast-track programme) can be found here.
Group discussion sessions will be held at the GTA and students are encouraged to attend.
On completion of the taught aspect of the course you then have approximately 6 months to undertake a supervised research project on a topic of your choice to achieve the masters.
Course fees: The programme fees are inclusive of all lectures, exam fees and research project supervision. Fees for the 2023 cohort are £8000, and students may apply to the GTA for a payment plan.
If you would like to discuss your development options further, please contact [email protected] or call Michelle on 01481 224570.
Assessment is by coursework and assignments.
Full CGI CSQS, ACA, ACCA and or CIMA or equivalent
To apply for this programme, please follow the link here to Bournemouth University's online application route.