This popular MSc Corporate Governance Programme will provide you with a highly specialised set of skills and develop your ability to appreciate and influence the factors governing corporate affairs. It is essentially a mixture of finance, law and governance focusing on the role of corporate administration. In this context, ‘corporate’ is used in its wider sense and therefore includes private, public and not-for-profit organisations.
Each taught unit of the programme involves extensive in-class discussions and the opportunity in some units to deal with real data derived from recent research and professional practice. You will have access to extensive online study materials via the university's virtual learning environment.
- Corporate Management & Control: You'll be exposed to legal principles and specific areas of legislation affecting business transactions, which will allow you to merge theoretical and practical knowledge and use the corporate and business strategy.
- Corporate Law - Theory & Practice: Examining key issues in contemporary corporate law, you'll evaluate these from theoretical and practical perspectives.
- Financial Reporting & Analysis: Learn the main principles and techniques involved in the production of financial statements and the analysis of corporate financial reporting.
- Corporate Stewardship: Illustrating the fundamental concepts in the protection of intellectual property rights, this unit will provide an understanding of the role of company secretary in the effective administration of organisations whilst covering key issues in risk management.
- Corporate Governance & Ethics: The objectives, principles and methods of Corporate Governance practice in different economic environments. You'll see how governance and ethics can support managerial decision-making, particularly for risk management.
- International Corporate Finance: The aims of this unit are to address the critical importance of the corporate finance function within an internationally diverse corporation and to provide a framework for assisting corporate decision-makers in a complex, dynamic and inherently uncertain external environment.
- Research Project: The research project will provide you with an opportunity to complete a significant piece of self-managed research in an area that interests you and is relevant to the course.
Bournemouth University developed the MSc Corporate Governance programme in close collaboration with The Chartered Governance Institute. One of the attractions of this programme is that it enables you to develop competence in all areas of business. Overall the course offers:
- An academically rigorous and highly practical qualification (MSc)
- Development of professional and managerial abilities
- Qualification with graduate status of The Chartered Governance Institute (Grad CG).
In pursuing this programme you will have the opportunity to:
- Undertake an academically rigorous study, at an advanced level, of corporate governance including major aspects of current thinking and developments
- Enhance your ability to effectively administer corporate affairs within an organisation, and contribute to corporate performance appropriate to employment at a senior level
- Examine the interrelationships between the major contributing disciplines and functional specialisms, and the manner in which they interrelate in corporate governance
- Build outwards from your individual field to foster self-development, developing your capability for effective teamwork, objective analysis and communication
- Foster an understanding and appreciation of ethics and values relating to the business community and the relationship to corporate governance
- Enhance your career potential
Duration and mode: The course is taught in Guernsey, part-time over two academic years. Teaching will take place over 11 two-day blocks (09:00 – 17:00 on Fridays & Saturdays) during the course of the academic year (September – May). On completion of the taught aspect of the course you then have approximately 6 months to undertake a supervised research project on a topic of your choice to achieve the masters.
Course fees: The 2.5 year programme fees are inclusive of all lectures, exam fees and research project supervision, and we are pleased to be able to offer interest-free payment plans. Fees for the 2021 cohort are tbc.
Fast track: If you already hold full ICSA CSQS, CCAB, ACA, ACCA or CIMA or equivalent, you would be eligible to exemption from the first year of this course and can apply to the MSc Corporate Governance/GradICSA Fast Track (commencing in September 2020).
Download frequently asked questions – MSc Corporate Governance.
If you would like to discuss your development options further please contact Kate Lenfestey on 01481-746889.
Assessment is by coursework and examination.
A Bachelor’s Honours degree, 2:2 or above, or equivalent professional qualifications/experience will be considered – please contact Kate Lenfestey to confirm.
To apply for the programme please follow the link here to Bournemouth University's application portal.