This popular MSc Corporate Governance Programme has been delivered locally since 1996 and will provide you with a highly specialised set of skills and develop your ability to appreciate and influence the factors governing corporate affairs. It is essentially a mixture of finance, law and governance focusing on the role of corporate administration. In this context, ‘corporate’ is used in its wider sense and therefore includes private, public and not-for-profit organisations.
This next cohort of the programme will be delivered entirely online through the GTA, starting January 2022.
This iteration of the programme has recently been updated to reflect the changes to the CGI Professional Programme ensuring that students receive the most up-to date teaching and learning in this evolving and technical field.
Each module of the programme involves the opportunity to deal with real data derived from recent research and professional practice. You will have access to extensive online study materials via the university's virtual learning environment.
- Financial and Management Accounting: Learn the main principles involved in the production of financial statements, understand the techniques for the analysis and critical appraisal of corporate financial reporting, and develop a critical appreciation of methods of management accounting and internal financial control.
- Corporate Law & Compliance: Learn the theoretical basis of corporate law, gain an understanding of contemporary corporate law, the role of company secretary in the effective administration of organisations, and evaluate key issues from theoretical and practical perspectives.
- Strategic Management: Apply the concepts of corporate and business strategy by integrating theoretical and practical knowledge and explore the managerial and organisational competencies required for companies to operate in global markets.
- Corporate Governance & Ethics: Understand the objectives, principles and methods of Corporate Governance practice within different economic environments, explore a range of frameworks to analyse complex ethical problems, and appreciate how corporate governance and ethics can aid managerial decision making.
- Enterprise Risk Management: Understand the different theoretical and practical aspects of identifying and managing risks, including how risk management links to compliance management and complements effective corporate governance in organisations, dependencies and complexities of several types of risks, and the need to establish a single framework, i.e., an enterprise risk management system within the organisation.
- International Corporate Finance: Understand the importance of the corporate finance function in an internationally diverse corporation and learn how to use a framework for assisting corporate decision-makers in a complex, dynamic and inherently uncertain external environment.
- Research Project: This unit will provide you with an opportunity to undertake a significant piece of self-managed research in an area of particular interest, relevant to the course. Guidance will be provided with a research methods workshop and you will be supported by an academic supervisor who will be there to provide guidance and feedback/feedforward.
Bournemouth University developed the MSc Corporate Governance programme in close collaboration with The Chartered Governance Institute. One of the attractions of this programme is that it enables you to develop competence in all areas of business. Overall the course offers:
- An academically rigorous and highly practical qualification (MSc)
- Development of professional and managerial abilities
- Qualification with graduate status of The Chartered Governance Institute (Grad CG).
In pursuing this programme you will have the opportunity to:
- Undertake an academically rigorous study, at an advanced level, of corporate governance including major aspects of current thinking and developments
- Enhance your ability to effectively administer corporate affairs within an organisation, and contribute to corporate performance appropriate to employment at a senior level
- Examine the interrelationships between the major contributing disciplines and functional specialisms, and the manner in which they interrelate in corporate governance
- Build outwards from your individual field to foster self-development, developing your capability for effective teamwork, objective analysis and communication
- Foster an understanding and appreciation of ethics and values relating to the business community and the relationship to corporate governance
- Enhance your career potential
Duration and mode: The course is taught in Guernsey, part-time over two academic years. All units on this course will be delivered through a combination of asynchronous activities that you can study at any time (such as pre-recorded lectures, case studies, and other-directed online activities), supported by regular synchronous tutorials and discussions to be held at the GTA to allow you to work through issues in real-time with your tutors.
On completion of the taught aspect of the course you then have approximately 6 months to undertake a supervised research project on a topic of your choice to achieve the masters.
Course fees: The 2.5 year programme fees are inclusive of all lectures, exam fees and research project supervision, and we are pleased to be able to offer interest-free payment plans. Fees for the 2022 cohort are £12,000. Students may apply to the GTA for an interest-free payment plan.
Fast track: If you already hold full CGI CSQS, ACA, ACCA or CIMA or equivalent, you would be eligible to exemption from the first year of this course and can apply to the MSc Corporate Governance/GradCG Fast Track (commencing in January 2023 - full programme outline can be viewed from via the related courses below).
If you would like to discuss your development options further please contact Kate Lenfestey on 01481 746889.
Assessment is by coursework and examination.
A Bachelor’s Honours degree, 2:2 or above, or equivalent professional qualifications/experience will be considered – please contact Kate Lenfestey to confirm.
To apply for the programme please follow the link (TBC) to Bournemouth University's application portal.