This six-month (75 hour) Certificate in International Insurance Management is a new certificated qualification developed by the Sagacious Group of experienced insurance professionals in conjunction with the Guernsey International Insurance Association (GIIA) and the GTA University Centre.
This self-study qualification has been designed to give candidates actionable, practical knowledge of all facets of the Guernsey international insurance industry. Candidates will get to grips with a variety of topics relevant to the Guernsey international insurance industry from governing laws, governance and basic principles to the specifics of captive insurance and index linked securities.
This qualification covers a broad range of insurance topics specific and relevant to Guernsey including:
- Captives including domiciles, feasibility, initial decision making at set-up, formation and licencing and exit strategies
- Guernsey Insurance law including the regulatory environment in Guernsey
- Calculating solvency
- The role of the Insurance Manager
- Underwriting – General Business and Employee Benefits
- Credit Ratings
- Insurance Policy Administration
- Reinsurance Protection
- Claims and Reserving
- Investments and loans
- Governance, Conduct and Ethics
- Professional Advisors and Services including bankers, actuaries, auditors, asset managers, brokers and claims handlers.
- The role of the company secretary
- Index Linked Securities
- Long term business
- Pension longevity hedging
- Managing General Agents and Delegated Authority Underwriting
- Commercial General Insurance
This course will help those working in the sector to extend their knowledge of the subject, better understand their roles, and progress their careers whilst providing course material that will facilitate learning.
After undertaking the course candidates will be able to identify key areas of the Guernsey international insurance industry and have a grasp of how they work and fit together.
For those not working in the sector this course will provide a sound understanding of how international insurance works, and in particular how it operates in Guernsey.
Candidates will undertake a multiple choice question examination at the completion of their self-study
The Certificate is open to anyone who is pursuing a career in the Guernsey insurance sector or who is interested in doing so. The course is pitched at a level 3 standard and the content of the programme requires students to possess:
- a sound educational background; and
- good written English skills.
Once booking approved you will receive a confirmation email form us, along with a short application form and data protection consent form to complete. Once both completed forms returned to us, a further email with links to supporting course materials and GIIA point of contact assigned. IF you have any questions, please get in touch via [email protected]