The three-month Diploma in International Insurance Management is a new certificated qualification developed by the Sagacious Group of experienced insurance professionals in conjunction with the Guernsey International Insurance Association (GIIA) and the GTA University Centre.
This self-study qualification has been designed as a follow-on to the Certificate in International Insurance Management (the completion of which is a pre-requisite) for those wishing to take their understanding and knowledge of the Guernsey insurance industry to the next level.
The Diploma is assessed by way of a 5,000-word dissertation chosen by the candidate from a list of approved topics decided by the moderators allowing the candidate to demonstrate that they have undertaken research in their chosen area and their original thought in the area.
This topic of the diploma will be chosen by the candidate from a shortlist of relevant topics chosen by GIIA as moderator of the qualification from topics in the following areas:
- Captives including domiciles, feasibility, initial decision making at set-up, formation and licencing and exit strategies
- Guernsey Insurance law including the regulatory environment in Guernsey
- Calculating solvency
- The role of the Insurance Manager
- Underwriting – General Business and Employee Benefits
- Credit Ratings
- Insurance Policy Administration
- Reinsurance Protection
- Claims and Reserving
- Investments and loans
- Governance, Conduct and Ethics
- Professional Advisors and Services including bankers, actuaries, auditors, asset managers, brokers and claims handlers
- The role of the company secretary
- Index linked Securities
- Long term business
- Pension longevity hedging
- Managing General Agents and Delegated Authority Underwriting
- Commercial General Insurance
This course will help those working in the sector demonstrate their expertise in their chosen topic relating to the Guernsey insurance industry. This will help them to extend their knowledge of the subject, better understand their roles, and progress their careers whilst completing study in a specific area relevant to the industry.
5,000-word dissertation on a topic selected by the candidate from a shortlist provided by GIIA.
The candidate must have successfully completed and passed the Certificate in International Insurance Management exam in order to apply to sit the Diploma in International Insurance Management. The content of the programme requires students to possess:
- a sound educational background; and
- good written English skills.
If you would like to book a place on this course please click on the ‘Register Interest’ button to the right of this page and one of the GTA team will contact you to advise the next steps and get you started on your diploma. Any queries please do not hesitate to contact us via [email protected] or call us on 01481 224570.