The course demonstrates the importance of family business governance; examines the different situations in the lifecycle of the family, the owners and the business that require more formal governance and highlights the limitations of natural governance. Focusing on ownership governance, family governance and business governance, this course helps advisers to develop ever more creative and innovative solutions to help family business clients face the challenges that are unique to them by virtue of being a family in business together, and plan for the future of their business and their family’s future.
It is recommended that this programme is studied in conjunction with the STEP Advanced Certificate in Advising the Family Business.
This course is designed for all professionals working with a family business looking to expand in their profession and carry out their role more effectively.
Students of this course typically include:
- Financial Planners
- Trust Managers (Senior)
- Wealth Managers
- Tax Advisors
- Compliance Officers/Managers
- Family Office Executives
- This course is widely applicable and essential to anyone working with a family business.
- The programme is not jurisdiction or culturally specific – it has been designed to be accessible for all professions across the world, speaking in a common language so that those from different specialisms can collaborate to better serve their family business clients.
- Designed, written and delivered with leading industry experts.
- Successful completion provides 30 Diploma Level credits.
Course price: £1,195 (£1,145 STEP discounted fee)
Following this course you will be able to:
- Understand the complexities of working with family businesses.
- Analyse family business dynamics, governance issues and sources of conflict.
- Apply a range of proven tools to help the family business achieve its objectives.
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge expected of a competent family business adviser operating within the bounds of their own profession of origin.
The course is available for study twice annually with intakes beginning in January and July (and assessments taking place in May and November). The programme is delivered online and will take four months to complete. We recommend that you spend four to six hours per week on private study for the four months prior to the assessment.
Enrolment onto this course will include the following:
- Access to an online learning platform that contains :
- Interactive e-learning modules comprising a combination of text, videos, podcasts, animations and interactive activities,
- Printable versions of the modules and downloadable resources for delegates to keep following completion of the course,
- Self-assessment questions and summative tasks for each module.
- Assessment fees.
Next course start date: 22 July 2022
Assignment submission date: 25 November 2022
The STEP Advanced Certificate in Family Business Governance builds upon the theories and frameworks covered in the STEP Advanced Certificate in Advising the Family Business and explores how the advisory community can absorb these new ideas and theories and apply them in practice.
The Advanced Certificate in Family Businesses Governance is assessed by way of an end of course written assignment based on a published case study. The case study will be published two months ahead of the submission date. Candidates will produce a written assignment of between 3.500 and 4.000 words to address the questions contained within the case study. Candidates must achieve 50% in order to pass the Advanced Certificate.
Once you have successfully completed this course you will gain 30 Diploma Level credits towards STEP membership and be awarded the STEP Advanced Certificate in Family Business Governance.
Applicants must have obtained 60 STEP Entry-Level credits to enrol onto this course or be a member of STEP. Visit STEP’s Qualification and Membership Framework to understand how to apply.